No announcement yet.

Yet another slide problem.  Help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After my unit was looked at unsuccessfully a few times, I purchased a motor and a harness long enough to run across the floor and to the motor in question. Harness in the rig was deemed good and what the issue turned out to be was a failed gearbox in the motor. I could see side that was struggling before the controller stopped the good side to even them up. So I replaced the suspect motor and holy cow, the slide ran so free. My controller would throw a code toward this side but it was the drag on the motor that was throwing the shorted wire code. Its highly recommended to keep a spare motor anyway so there is no harm in replacing a suspect motor and then order another for a spare.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Chad D. View Post
      Well, I’m pretty tempted to just start replacing parts and keep spares…

By the time I take it in 9 more times to get the same results, I could have two new motors and harnesses. So, Morten questions from the new guy!

Anyone confident about the motor model number on a 2021 Imagine 2500RL? It’s a decent sized slide, so I’m curious if I have 300:1 #236575 or the 500:1 #287298. If I’m gonna learn how to tear into this thing, I’d kinda like to have the new motor(s) in hand.

Also, is it a major undertaking to replace a harness if it’s gone haywire? I’d like to think a harness would be repairable, but want to be prepared if I can.
      If you verify that the motor is the #236575, which I imagine it is, there is a generic motor on Amazon at a pretty good price savings:

https://www.amazon.com/236575-Slide-...-1-spons&psc=1

I'm not sure if anyone on this forum has actually tried one yet, but it would be interesting to know how it works.

I agree that after isolating which motor/harness, and after eliminating the controller board, going ahead and buying spare parts to try may not be a bad idea. Worst case: you end up with emergency spares!

2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

There is nothing wrong with replacing the motor since the probability is 100% you will eventually need one in the future anyway. Buy a long harness too. If there is a wiring problem, you can connect it and run it across the inside of the rig to get you home. If the issue is the rack itself, its possible to repair if your handy but otherwise this is a dealer task. While its not impossible to have a bad controller, its the first two that form the vast majority of the issues.

I purchased a spare harness and motor and also two adjustable slide locks that I use to secure the sliding bedroom and bathroom doors at the floor.

Jim

Comment

Our 2021 2970RL has the same problem. I took it back to the dealer (last fall) and they replaced both motors and slides. After a few uses, the same problem returned. Since then, I depress the switch to slide in or out for a second, then click the switch in the opposite direction twice quickly, then repeat until the slide is all the way in, or out. It's a pain, especially since I have heard from other GD owners that they too have the same problem. It's still under warranty, but I hate dragging it back and forth to the dealer just to have it reoccur. I may try the troubleshooting that Howard posted.

Has anyone tried that and completely rectified the problem?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            There is nothing wrong with replacing the motor since the probability is 100% you will eventually need one in the future anyway. Buy a long harness too. If there is a wiring problem, you can connect it and run it across the inside of the rig to get you home. If the issue is the rack itself, its possible to repair if your handy but otherwise this is a dealer task. While its not impossible to have a bad controller, its the first two that form the vast majority of the issues.

I purchased a spare harness and motor and also two adjustable slide locks that I use to secure the sliding bedroom and bathroom doors at the floor.

Jim
            As per my post #17, I keep looking for someone who has tried the generic motors offered on Amazon. Did you go that route on your spare motor, or just go with the OEM Lippert motor?
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

As per my post #17, I keep looking for someone who has tried the generic motors offered on Amazon. Did you go that route on your spare motor, or just go with the OEM Lippert motor?
              Hi Lonestar,

At the time I needed a motor the aftermarket motors were not available so I purchased Lippert motors. Since both have come down in price, I think its fine to still buy the Lippert motor. But honestly, I believe the aftermarket and Lippert motors are one and the same where I would not have an issue buying the aftermarket motor.

Jim

Comment

Hello, I also have a 2022 imagine 22mle that just started having slide problems. From inside the right side wants to go out and the left side gets hung up. I have looked everywhere I can and cannot find the controller. Can someone please tell me where to look. Currently at a campground but will call dealer as soon as I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by hank View Post
                  Hello, I also have a 2022 imagine 22mle that just started having slide problems. From inside the right side wants to go out and the left side gets hung up. I have looked everywhere I can and cannot find the controller. Can someone please tell me where to look. Currently at a campground but will call dealer as soon as I get home.
                  Most likely under the aft bench (table) seat. The water pump should be there, too.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Most likely under the aft bench (table) seat. The water pump should be there, too.
                    Thank you. I found it and following directions it would not work. Saw 8 red leds which suggested a short between the controller and motor. I will follow up with the dealer for repairs.

Comment

I get the 9/1 error code anytime I shut off the battery to work on something. Then reset at switch and it’s working fine. Infuriating and wondering as well If I should just get a motor and harness to have on hand. But then again could be the controller. How does one find a short in this system? It only happens when battery is shut off at the battery switch. Saw some forum posts on the Thor group and there are alot of people with same issue and no solution as the slide still works.
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                      Demco Recon

Comment

howson With all the problems that everyone has reported with the SchwinTek slides on these RVs, should purchasing one of these GD campers be avoided? Or, is this one of those things that while some have issues the majority of the RVs out there never have these problems. Just wondering if I’m signing up for constant problems vs the devil in what I know in my current RV.

My wife and I are really looking forward to the idea of this new 2500RL, but since it has this schwintek slide I’m nervous I have to wonder with all the various models of RVs using them, I have to wonder if it’s a small percentage of the overall shipped are having the problems note. Should I worry or embrace the new 2500rl since we’re to take delivery this Saturday and sign on the dotted line.
                        Mark
                        Current: 2023 GD Imagine 2500RL, 2018 F150 CrewCab King Ranch FX4, Equal-i-zer WD
                        Previous: 2013 Cougar 31SQB, 2015 F350 CC King Ranch FX4, 2007 GMC LBZ 2500.

Comment

The Schwintek system on my bedroom slide has been working without problem.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by mepgray View Post
                            howson With all the problems that everyone has reported with the SchwinTek slides on these RVs, should purchasing one of these GD campers be avoided? Or, is this one of those things that while some have issues the majority of the RVs out there never have these problems. Just wondering if I’m signing up for constant problems vs the devil in what I know in my current RV.

My wife and I are really looking forward to the idea of this new 2500RL, but since it has this schwintek slide I’m nervous I have to wonder with all the various models of RVs using them, I have to wonder if it’s a small percentage of the overall shipped are having the problems note. Should I worry or embrace the new 2500rl since we’re to take delivery this Saturday and sign on the dotted line.
                            I've had no issues with the Schwintek in my 315RLTS.

Installed correctly and used on an appropriately sized (and weighted) slide there's nothing inherently "bad" about the Schwintek. Most problems are due to installation issues, owners failing to open (and close) them correctly by holding down the extend/retract button after the slide stops moving, low 12v battery power, and the usual problems when foreign objects get jammed under the slide (toys, slippers, etc). The one design flaw, IMO, is the sometimes difficult task of getting the slide in or out when there's a problem. A Schwintek does not have the manual crank like a thru-frame.

Any RV will have it's fair share of issues--nature of the beast. The key, IMO, is an extremely thorough PDI (by you and your wife) before signing any paperwork. See https://gdrvowners.com/tools-parts-o...very-checklist

Once you've gone through the trailer thoroughly and if it's OK--enjoy your new trailer. When there's issues (and there will be issues) embrace it as part of the journey. As you wrote, even your current RV is "the devil you know".

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I think too its the size of the slide. The smaller slide with the schwintek system works great but it sure seems the bigger slides with the schwintek system seems to have more issues. When I bought my 2020 GD trailer last year i did tons of research online and with a local RV tech and they said the same thing. On the other hand they make tons of $$$$$$ due to the schwintek systems including do warranty work on them. There is hundreds of permanant camp sites around this area so they are busy and I trust what they tell me.

Comment

I agree with Howard's comments, and the only problem I've had with mine was a damaged motor control cable that was no fault of the Schwintek system. I admit, I still cringe every time I open or close my slide just hoping this is not the time it will go south.

Most of the issues posted on the forums have been solved with replaced motors, cables, control box, etc. The ones that really concern me or the ones that require the slide to be completely removed from the trailer to solve the issue, or the ones where folks have had their trailer in to the dealer multiple times with poor results.

I'm not saying a Schwintek system would be a deal breaker for me, but I feel I would strongly consider the risk to benefit ratio of any trailer using it. If you do purchase a trailer with this system, really familiarize yourself with the proper way to use it and to maintain it. Understand how it works and be prepared if an issue pops up.
                                2020 Reflection 273MK
                                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                                X